Business and Arts South Africa (NPC) is an internationally recognised South African development agency with a suite of integrated programmes implemented nationally and internationally. BASA encourages mutually beneficial partnerships between business and the arts, securing the future development of the arts sector in South Africa and contributing to corporate success through Shared Value. Business and Arts South Africa (NPC) was founded in 1997 as a joint initiative of the Department of Arts and Culture and the business sector as a public/private partnership.
Business and Arts South Africa’s vision is to be the leading connector catalyst and resource that supports a better understanding by business of the arts, and continues to advocate an arts culture in our society.
BASA’s mission is to ensure the relevance and sustainability of the arts in South Africa by providing expertise in developing partnerships between business and the arts.
As a section 21 company, BASA has a Board of Directors that meets four times a year. An Executive Committee meets regularly (at least every two months) to consider applications for funding and to provide guidance. BASA has an Audit Committee, Human Resource Committee, Nomination Committee and Marketing Advisory Committee.
- Charmaine Soobramoney Chairperson
- Mandie van der Spuy Deputy Chairperson
- Ashraf Johaardien CEO
- Andre le Roux
- Carel Nolte
- Devi Sankaree Govender
- Hilton Lawler
- Kathy Berman
- Khanyi Mamba
- Kojo Baffoe
- Mirna Wessels
- Dr Yacoob Abba Omar
- Zingisa Motloba
- Aviwe Matandela - Client Liaison Officer
- Boitumelo 'Tumy' Motsoatsoe - Head of Programmes
- Madeleine Selmer-Olsen - Head of Research
- Maureen Benya - General Assistant
- Palesa Litha - Research Assistant
- Palesa Mnyaka - Programmes coordinator
- Pascar Dube - Programmes Coordinator
- Rochelle Singh - Executive Assistant
- Savannah Feeke - Head of Marketing
- Sinenhlanhla Mdiya - Marketing Coordinator
- Sipho Mthiyane - Supporting Grants Officer