The programme, founded and sponsored by studio artist Benon Lutaaya and in its 2nd year, will offer an emerging South African female artist working in the field of drawing, painting, printmaking, collage or sculpture a 6 month residency at the Bag Factory. The residency will offer the selected artist an opportunity to interact with local artists, develop and grow their creative practice, to expand their network internationally and to experience a climate of cultural diversity.
* Applicants must be female
* between 2 and 4 years practicing as an artist
* must work in the medium of either drawing, painting, printmaking and/or sculpture.
* applicants must be South African.
Visiting artists are expected to:
* work from the Bag Factory, interacting with Bag Factory and local artists, and experiencing the city,
* complete a written report on their visit,
* donate a work to the Bag Factory,
* arrive on time and stay for the full period (6 months),
What will a successful applicant receive?
* a 6 month residency at the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios including a material stipend and accomodation if the winner is from outside Johannesburg
* Solo show with Lizamore & Associates Gallery after the tenure of the Bag Factory and a European-based Residency in 2018
* A return flight ticket to a European-based international residency with SAFFCA in 2018.
* R45,000.00 in stipend while on residency in Europe
*Turbine Art Fair group show together with the 2 runners-up
This applicant must be able to participate in the full programme starting on 01 July, through end of December 2017.
Applicants should not expect to profit financially from their stay at the Bag Factory, as this is cultural development programme.
Applicants must submit:
▪ a representative portfolio of work
▪ a substantial curriculum vitae with full names, references, addresses and contact numbers
▪ a brief letter of motivation, not more than one A4 page long, outlining reasons for wishing to join the programme and why specifically you wish to come to the Bag Factory
Applications must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org